Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Peach and Blueberry Pie and a discussion about fat

Peach and Blueberry Pie
When I first read the books, "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" and "The China Study" in October of 2010, I was convinced of the research and results that a diet without added fat, or any animal products is the way to go.  I am still convinced.

For the first few months I was maniacal about every little bit of fat listed in ingredients of every product I bought.  Then I read, "The Engine 2 Diet" and relaxed, just a little.  We started having the occasional walnut sauce over steamed kale.  Walnuts.  And I bought an avocado once in a while for the salad, but not often.  I read, "Fat Free, Flavor Full" by Dr. Gabe Mirkin and Diana Rich.  I liked what he said about a few grams of fat being acceptable.

Then I read Dr. Fuhrman's book on nutrition to build immunity and watched a lecture by Dr. Ornish discussing his Spectrum book.  We have altered what we eat just enough to include some seeds and a few nuts, and to focus on the immunity boosting plants especially:  mushrooms, anything from the brassica family like cabbage and broccoli, strawberries, sunflower seeds, etc.  

Don't get me wrong, I strongly believe that the work of Dr. Esselstyn and Dr. Campbell trumps all the other information I am reading.   We still don't eat meat, dairy or olive oil, but do eat out once in a while and order vegan dishes.

I aim to not go higher each day than 20 grams of fat, none of which comes from putting oil or other fat on our food.  I do not keep bottles of olive and canola oil in the house.  I do keep a small bottle of sesame oil in the fridge for specific recipes and I do keep spray oil for specific light applications, like homemade tortilla chips.

I recognize there is a small amount of fat in the non-dairy milk we drink (almond milk for him, rice milk for me), the occasional walnut, sunflower seeds or avocado slice, and a little fat in the whole grain bread we typically buy, "Dave's Killer....".  (Sorry but I don't care for the Ezekiel brand bread items, they almost always end up in the trash rather than being consumed.  Life is too short to not like what I am eating.  The rest of the food we eat on this diet is fabulous.)

To put 20 grams of fat in perspective, a typical black olive has about 7 grams of fat.  A glass of rice milk (8 ounces) has 2.5 grams of fat.  So 20 grams of fat might sound like a lot, but I understand that the average American eating a typical western diet consumes about 85 grams of fat per day and has plaque in his or her veins, diagnosed or not.

These are the choices we make so that this plant-based, no added fat way of eating is do-able and sustainable for us.  Since we have become plant-based while in good health, before we have been diagnosed with heart disease, diabetes, cancer or other serious health problems I suspect we have the luxury of slightly more food choices--seeds and nuts in small quantities--than a strict heart or cancer patient would have.  Our next blood test will be an interesting tell.  This year our focus is on eating less processed food.  Baby steps.

Lately I have been reading the Facebook posts of people who are new to this diet which reminds me of how I was when new--worried about ANY fat from packaged foods or from anything.  We were so strict and limited ourselves so much it was almost impossible, especially when traveling or eating out.  I have learned to pick my battles, and the most important is not eating animal protein.  The next is nothing fried, ever.  (So no vegan donuts or french fries.)  After that, all the other things: fat listed in the ingredients, processed foods, non-organic produce...the list goes on and on.  If a typical serving (crackers, bread, etc.) lists more than 3 grams of fat I usually do not even bring it home.

Here is the exception:

Last night we made fruit pie for dessert.  The store-bought, frozen, whole wheat crust was not fat-free, in fact there are 8 grams of fat in 1/8 of the pie shell, but so convenient for the occasional pie.  It was in the freezer, left over from the holidays.

Ingredients:

1 pie shell, your favorite low-fat or non-fat recipe or whole grain store brand
Frozen peach slices, enough to cover the bottom of the pie shell, about 2 cups.
1/2 cup almond milk
2 tablespoons date sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Cover pie shell with peach slices.  Combine sweetener, milk and cornstarch until thoroughly blended and pour over the peaches.  Top with enough blueberries to cover.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 35 minutes. Remove and cool on wire rack.  Dust with powdered sugar, optional.

Remember when we used to use a cube of butter and put a cup of sugar in our pie?  This is way better.



No comments:

Post a Comment