Saturday, January 14, 2012

Brown Rice Crispy Treats without butter!

Vegan Junk Food
Since it is the holidays and I am no saint, I have been wanting to try to make rice crispy treats without butter to see if it will work.  I know this isn't the healthiest snack but sometimes my cravings get the best of me no matter how much kale, beans and oatmeal I eat the rest of the time.  At least this version won't set me completely back to eating food made with items that had a mother or a face.  Listening to new holiday music such as "Winter Moon" by Mindy Gledhill helps them go down easier.

Brown Rice Crispy Treats, plant-based no added fat

Ingredients:
1 10 oz jar of Suzanne's Ricemallow Cream (or vegan marshmallows, melted)
equal part brown rice crisps cereal 
1/2 cup dried fruit, such as cranberries
1 tablespoon extra dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup dried date pieces
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal for topping

Spray a 7x9 pan with oil, remove all but a thin sheen.
Pour the melted marshmallows into a large bowl along with the other ingredients.  Stir to combine and then press into prepared pan.  Top with flaxseed meal and tell yourself it's nuts.
Refrigerate for an hour before cutting into small squares.
Makes about 15 servings.  Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment