|Plant based Waldorf Salad|
I have always like collecting recipes and one time I found myself alone with my mother-in-law's cookbooks. In a book that came with her Sharp microwave oven I found a fantastic recipe for a Chicken Waldorf Salad made with bacon and mayonnaise and a pound of chicken meat with enough garlic powder to send the whole flavor sensation over the top. It was soooo good.
I have kept that recipe in my own collection for the past 25 years although of course I never made it often and now I don't make it at all. Yesterday was another hot, and I mean really hot day so I was in the mood for a cold dinner. Here is a lightened version of that Chicken Waldorf Salad Recipe for my future self and anyone else who would like to try it.
Recipe for Not-Chicken Waldorf Salad
- 1 cup Butler Soy Curls (rehydrated in not-chicken broth) and diced to 1/2" or vegan chicken type meat product by Quorn
- 1 cup grapes, cut in half
- 6 large kale leaves, rinsed and sliced into thin ribbons and chopped to 1"
- 1 crisp fresh apples diced 1/2"
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (original recipe called for 3/4 cup--yikes!)
Place everything into large bowl and toss with dressing. Chill for an hour before serving.
- 1/8 cup Miracle Mayo or your favorite non-fat vegan mayo or cashews processed in magic bullet (mini food processor)
- 6 oz. vegan yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Two cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar
- dash black pepper
Alternative ingredients: butter lettuce instead of steamed kale, cold peas, dried cranberries, forego the soy curls, add chia seeds. Top salad with flaxseed meal.