Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Barley

Barley flakes uncooked
I accidently purchased barley flakes from my local health food store last fall and assumed the package was just mislabeled.  They looked the same as old fashioned oatmeal to me and I had never heard of eating barley, unless of course you are living in a barn.  I liked it because the flakes tend to keep their individuality.  And nutritionally it is "a good thing" as Martha would say.

Last week I went to purchase more bulk oatmeal and purposely looked for barley and to my surprise then entire shelf above the oatmeal was various sized bags of barley and when viewing that much of each side by side I could kind of see a variation in color and texture.  But ever so slightly....

I looked up the nutritional comparison of barley and oatmeal here: http://skipthepie.org/cereal-grains-and-pasta/barley-hulled/compared-to/oats/

Barley has more fiber and less fat and calories per serving!

Barley for breakfast

I like to make both barley and oatmeal with some of the liquid being low fat unsweetened almond milk because it gives the cereal a chewy texture instead of the glutenous mass of gray sludge we all grew up with when it is boiled with water only.

My recipe for the perfect barley bowl:

1/2 cup barley flakes
1/2 cup low fat unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup water

Cook in microwave for two minutes.  Let sit for one additional minute.
Sprinkle your favorite topping over and enjoy.

My favorite toppings:
1/4 cup freeze dried peaches
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon date sugar
pinch nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon flaxseed meal

No comments:

Post a Comment