- 1 cup wheat berries
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, rinsed and chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped fine
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 large kale leave, sliced in thin ribbons
- 2 lemons, juice and zest from
- 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon basil paste, or 1/4 fresh bunch chopped
- several grinds of black pepper
Prepare wheat berries by simmering in the water and salt until tender. This could take anywhere from 1 hour to 2 1/2 hours. Drain and cool to room temperature.
Prepare dressing by combining lemon juice with oil drizzle while whisking in small bowl or measuring cup.
Place all ingredients in large bowl and stir to combine. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Makes about 8 cups of salad. Will keep in refrigerator for 2 days.