Friday, May 8, 2015

Plant based Waldorf Salad


Plant based Waldorf Salad
Re-post for summer:

I have always like collecting recipes and one time I found myself alone with my mother-in-law's cookbooks. In a book that came with her Sharp microwave oven I found a fantastic recipe for a Chicken Waldorf Salad made with bacon and mayonnaise and a pound of chicken meat with enough garlic powder to send the whole flavor sensation over the top.  It was soooo good.
I have kept that recipe in my own collection for the past 25 years although of course I never made it often and now I don't make it at all.  Yesterday was another hot, and I mean really hot day so I was in the mood for a cold dinner.  Here is a lightened version of that Chicken Waldorf Salad Recipe for my future self and anyone else who would like to try it.

Recipe for Not-Chicken Waldorf Salad

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup Butler Soy Curls (rehydrated in not-chicken broth) and diced to 1/2" or vegan chicken type meat product by Quorn
  • 1 cup grapes, cut in half
  • 6 large kale leaves, rinsed and sliced into thin ribbons and chopped to 1"
  • 1 crisp fresh apples diced 1/2"
  • 1 cup chopped celery 
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (original recipe called for 3/4 cup--yikes!)

Place everything into large bowl and toss with dressing.  Chill for an hour before serving.

Salad dressing:
  • 1/8 cup Miracle Mayo or your favorite non-fat vegan mayo or cashews processed in magic bullet (mini food processor)
  • 6 oz. vegan yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • Two cloves fresh minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar
  • dash black pepper

Alternative ingredients:  butter lettuce instead of steamed kale, cold peas, dried cranberries, forego the soy curls, add chia seeds.  Top salad with flaxseed meal.





No comments:

Post a Comment