Thursday, June 28, 2012

Berries and Cattle and my changing Mindset

Our berry harvest last night--dessert!
Last night after work I felt very drained and tired after a frustrating day.  We had steamed kale and a big salad with raw cauliflower, beans, radishes and butter lettuce for dinner but feeling peckish we decided to pick our berries and have some of them for dessert.  I just want to document the moment so next winter I can look back and remember summer.

Sometimes in my work I do tedious tasks that allow me to listen to audiobooks.  I was just looking for something new to listen to after finishing "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed which was one of the best books I have enjoyed and recommend it highly, although it not something you want playing in the car while your  kids are in the back seat (if you know what I mean).  Anyway, I came across a book called "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer and after reading the summary I knew it is one I don't need to listen to.  It would just depress me.  I have fully crossed over into the world of eating only plants now.  It is such a peaceful and happy place.

Which brings me to the thought I wanted to share, my changing mindset after eating meat for the first half of my life.  Last week we were taking my daughter to catch a flight out of Seattle bound for Alaska and her new summer job.  We hadn't been on the road long when we came upon an accident near Prosser, Wa where a cattle truck had overturned and there were cattle standing at the side of the road looking confused and dazed, and others walking away from the wreckage down a side road.  
We automatically started cheering for the cattle leaving the area and I exclaimed, "Run!" and started laughing at myself.  My initial thoughts were of sadness and hope that animals hadn't suffered in the accident, followed by the thought, "Well, that's silly since they are on their way to being slaughtered.  How kind is that?"  Then finally I was really glad I don't eat meat anymore.  Oops, delete the word "meat" and insert the words "dead animals" or "dead flesh".  See, now wasn't that easy?

We watched a movie last night that was very funny (Wanderlust) but I don't like the way it ended.  Jennifer Aniston ate a steak and dissed the vegan diet, sort of.

Don't eat anything dead.  You will feel better and so will "it".


No comments:

Post a Comment