Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Veggie Burger, moist and savory

Burger hot off the panini press!

Plant-based burger, no meat here.
I set out to create a burger that is juicy, savory and large.  My priority was not to make a burger full of the most vegetables and grains possible, or even low sodium.  I was frustrated by the dry, small and flavorless veggie burgers I have tried, which really aren't meeting that burger need.
I did have the criteria that it could not include any animal products or added oil.  Further, I can't use onions or peppers so you will not find them in any of my recipes, except what occurs in Bragg 24 Herb Seasoning and some pre-made sauces.
I was inspired by recipes by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, Terry Hope Romero as published in their book, "Veganomicon" and also by Lindsay S. Nixon in her book, "The Happy Herbivore".  

Plant based, no added fat vegan burger

Ingredients:
2 slices whole grain, low fat bread
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
1/4 teaspoon chile powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped fine
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
8 ounces firm tofu
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons "Not Beef" bouillon
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 cup old fashioned oats, toss in at end before forming patties 
Directions:
  1. Place first four ingredients into food processor and pulse until fine crumbs.
  2. Remove from food processor and place into large bowl.
  3. Chop the mushrooms into a fine dice and add to crumb mixture in bowl.
  4. Place the remaining ingredients into food processor and combine until no whole beans remain.
  5. Stir the bean mixture into the dry breadcrumb mixture along with the mushrooms and oats.
  6. Form into 6 to 8 large patties or 10 thinner patties.
  7. Take each patty and wrap in a small piece of foil that has been coated with spray canola or olive oil.  Make sure the packet is sealed tight.
  8. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes to one hour.
  9. Remove from oven and if you want grill marks, place each patty, without the foil, onto a nonstick griddle such as a panini press.  Grill each side for a minute.
  10. Serve on whole grain buns with all the typical hamburger condiments you love.  Lettuce, tomato, Miracle Mayo, pickles, Non-fat and non-dairy Thousand Island dressing, avocado slices, Non-dairycheese, grilled mushrooms, etc.

4 comments:

  1. This recipe looks delicious. We are having these burgers for dinner tonight, and I'm wondering whether it would be possible to make a double batch and just leave the extras in the freezer for another dinner later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have a couple of batches of these in the freezer, but when I make them we eat all of them. I think they would stay nice for a couple of months in the freezer (if you hide them.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were delicious! I made a double batch, we ate 4, and our college junior is looking forward to taking 8 frozen patties with him when he moves into his college apartment this weekend. I added 1 c chopped onion to the doubled recipe. My husband grilled them, and they held their shape nicely. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made my day! Thanks for your comments and I am so glad you like the burgers.

    ReplyDelete